Friday, July 29, 2011

Pup-cakes

My good friend, Julie, took me to lunch at a new restaurant.  Sophie’s Uptown was a café I’d never heard of, but I loved it the minute I got there.  The place named after – and dedicated to – Sophie, a rescued dog and long-time companion of the owner and founder, David York.  Sophie recently passed away at the age of 20, but her memory lives on through the work of the café.

Adorned with beautiful dog photos and artwork, the café fits right into the Buckhead environment.  It is more, however, than just a nice place to eat.  Sophie’s Uptown offers 25% of all profits to animal rescue organization.  Along with your meal, you get a token which allows you to vote for the organization where you would like your 25% to go.

My lunch was a tomato-basil soup and veggie quiche, both wonderful.  I gave my token to an organization that supports pet health and then enjoyed a dessert of pup-cakes.  These were the best part of the meal.  Of the many great desserts offered, these cupcakes with puppy faces created in icing were the most fun.

Our pets are among the greatest gifts we are given by God.  I’m not sure we adequately appreciate that fact.  We may forget that we are intended to be God’s gift to them as well.  Let’s remember and enjoy our companion animals and take care of them as God takes care of us.

If you live in, or find yourself passing through, the Buckhead area be sure to stop in at Sophie’s and enjoy a good meal with a good cause.

Sophie’s Uptown; 54 Pharr Rd, Atlanta, GA 30305; 404.812.0477; www.sophiesuptown.com

Blessed eating!

1 comment: