Sunday, July 1, 2012

Order

 . . . for God is a God not of disorder but of peace.           
1 Corinthians 14:33


Summer is finally beginning – not that it hasn’t been hot, not that the kids haven’t been out of school.  But summer is finally beginning because after a busy family trip, annual conference, VBS and a few other items, I can finally enjoy the slow pace of the season. 

Summer is often a slow time at churches.  Many programs are on pause.  Plans for the fall won’t get into gear for another couple of months.  It is time to slow down after a long and busy season, take stock, and to begin putting things back in order.

For me, putting things back in order is a necessity for both home and office.  If you had seen the stacks of books and papers around my desk, well, you might think twice about coming in for a visit.  I’m sure some church members thought I was lost in there.  Many probably avoided it for fear of injury!  This season will finally allow me to put back the shelf that fell, find places for the endless stream of books that seem to flow into my ownership, and to make some sense of my work space and my work.

At home, I have celebrated the warm season by finally managing to cook a dinner out of the Bass Family and Friends cookbook.  I made a simple Egg Quiche and I am actually writing about it.  After a long hiatus, it feels like breathing again.

I have lots of other projects planned.  All of them have to do with putting things in order.  I plan to clean out a few closets and one big basement.  I hope to get lots of paperwork filed.  I am working on copying all of my pictures to disk, as they are currently scattered throughout the house among envelopes and boxes, cameras and computers.   All of this is in addition to writing weekly sermons, making and returning e-mails and calls, attending meetings, etc. (lest anyone at church think I am slacking off!).

Scripture tells us that our God is a God of order, or at least it says that in the negative.  I use this line occasionally in church when we need to sharpen some practice or clean up a room.  But I often look around and wonder.  The evidence doesn’t always seem to point that way.

My life bears little order. In fact, I am in the middle of a life stage known for its disorderliness.  I have two young children and a very busy job.  While no one would think it surprising if my house was in just a little disarray, I long for order – for things to have a place where they are easily put, where they will be easily retrieved again, to have surroundings that create calm, and not the all too common anxiety and chaos.

When it comes to things like family pictures, the anxiety bubbles up even more.  I deeply fear losing them.  What I really fear, I imagine, is losing some precious part of my children’s lives and my own life.  Losing the present moment.  Like the Court Yard Hounds, my heart sings about “The Fear of Wasted Time.”  

Time might pass me by,
if I close my eyes.  

This is my song too.  I think that much of my anxiety over order is really the fear of loss of the present.  Fear of missing out on something important.

It is comforting to know that our God who is a God of order is also a God of memory.  In scripture, we are called on again and again to remember.  Even when we can’t, I believe that God remembers for us.  I have to take some comfort in knowing that all things – and all memories – are in the divine hands.  That nothing has to be lost forever.

So I will try to stay calm as I work through the ordering process, and remember what is most important:   the relationships with the ones who make the memories worth having.  May you and yours have a blessed and memory-filled summer.

Blessed eating!
 

Egg Quiche

1 9-inch pie crust, unbaked                           6 large eggs
1 c. half and half                                               ¼ t. dried thyme
¼ t. dried parsley                                             ½ t. salt
1/8 t. black pepper                                          dash nutmeg (optional)
½ c. shredded Cheddar or Swiss cheese      ¼ c. ch. Onion
¼ c. chopped ham

Preheat oven to 400o F.  Pierce unbaked pie crust several times with fork; set aside.  In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, and seasonings. Sprinkle cheese, vegetables, and ham over unfilled pie crust.  Pour in egg mixture.  Bake at 400o for 45 to 60 minutes, or until nicely browned.  Serves 6 to 8. – Lisa Wade




No comments:

Post a Comment