Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Not too Proud to Pick

Renea Winchester, member of Christ UMC, is a fellow blogger and author of  In the Garden with Billy: Lessons About Life, Love & Tomatoes.  I thought you would enjoy her writing so she is my guest blogger this week. You can read more at Blogthefarm.wordpress.com (and check out her contest, info below).

Nancy



Not too Proud to Pick

Few things give me greater joy that picking fresh fruits and vegetables. This morning, upon awakening the usual “to-do” list immediately made an appearance. In a matter of minutes I had jotted ten things on a list and effectively filled the day. Punting them all, I gathered a recycled plastic bucket and begin walking toward the Target Super Center where a plethora of berries hung waiting for a brave picker such as yours truly.

Here in Atlanta folk aren’t enthusiastic about berry picking. Especially since these berries are situated along a busy road. For me, picking is therapeutic. Place me in a field and I won’t leave until every single thing is harvested.

Lord, please protect me from snakes, bees and biting ants, I think while stepping into a field abundant with Queen Anne’s Lace. Oh and please, no chiggers. I add.

Where I grew up Queen Anne’s Lace is called the “Chigger Plant.”

My thoughts raced as fast as the rushing cars. Allow me to share them with you.

My mom would like a cobbler. I should take her some. She has chemo this Friday and I am always trying to think of something special for her.

I am so thankful my husband has a job. We-like many-have seen our share of job loss and financial worries.

The peaches will be ready soon. Oh how my Dad loves peaches. I should take him some as a Father’s Day gift.

Protect my daughter from the school bully. She witnessed one student threaten another yesterday…something she will not tolerate.

Thank you for Kelle. My fellow picker. Help Doe as she travels. She suffers from flight-anxiety. Be with my friends who are struggling on many levels.

Thank you for giving Courtney the gift of healing. I feel so much better. Courtney is a healing massage therapist who recently unkinked my very painful back ailment.

As the bucket fills the light strikes the berries in a way that causes my eyes to well with tears. Oh. How precious is my life. How I take it for granted. How rapid the years are slipping away.

With the bucket full, I walk home. As my muscles protest beneath the weight I think, what am I going to do with all these berries?. Almost immediately an elderly lady approaches. I know. I will give some away. I will give some to a stranger.

“Good morning. How are you today?” I ask wearing a smile and juice-stained fingertips. She grunts a response. Again another lesson in how our actions affect our life. She will not receive any berries.

I’ll call Miss Mary. She’ll appreciate them. I think as I turn into my driveway.


Renea Winchester is the author of In the Garden with Billy: Lessons About Life, Love & Tomatoes. She is an award-winning author who was recently named the Author of the Year by the National Pen Women Association, Atlanta Chapter. The 100th subscriber to her blog will receive a $ 10.00 Gift Certificate to Botanical Interests, a family owned company whose products Renea adores.

No comments:

Post a Comment